Summer reading is for everyone!
Frankfort Community Public Library and the branches in Michigantown, Rossville, and Mulberry announce the start of our annual Summer Reading Program: Oceans of Possibilities, (SRP). This seven-week long program promotes learning with several entertaining and educational events as well as prizes available to community members of all ages.
Why does Summer Reading matter?
A main goal of the SRP, each year, is to prevent summer learning loss. Now, with our community building back after the pandemic, continued learning during the summer is more important than ever! Research shows that children’s, “mental or emotional health worsened during the pandemic” (Weekly, CDC, 2021) Meanwhile, evidence regarding the benefits of summer library use is prevalent. In fact, a comprehensive study from the Dominican University Graduate School found that, “students who participated in summer reading programs were.. 52 Lexile points ahead of their peers who did not participate” (Fiore & Roman, 2010). At the library, we care about your academic, mental, and physical wellbeing! We are planning a variety of programs and activities to inspire learners of all ages, child to adult!
“Oceans” of programs!
The theme this year is “Oceans of Possibilities” and we are celebrating with beach and sea-themed activities and stories! Events begin on June 6, a library card is not required to join the fun, and the program is free. We are especially excited about our prizes this year! Once again, there will be a grand prize of an adult tablet and children’s tablet. Children 13 years old and younger can win a ticket to a Foam Party! At these events a foam cannon will shoot out huge bubbles for an hour! Participants earn a prize entry by checking out books, attending programs, and submitting a book review.
Here are a few important dates to remember:
- May 23- Registration for Summer Reading programming opens. Click here to check which classes interest you and to register.
- June 4, 7:30 p.m.- Friends Concert Series- Clare Longendyke
- June 25, 10:00- 2:00 p.m.- Rossville Library’s 25th Anniversary
- June 25, 10:30 a.m.- Rossville Library’s Ocean Protectors Zoo Program
- June 25, 10:00 a.m.- Family Fun Hour in the Children’s Department
- June 23-25- Clinton County Youth Theatre’s production of Annie Jr!
- July 22, 2:30 & 5:00- Foam Party at Rossville Library and Mulberry Library
- July 23, 1:00 & 4:00- Foam Party at Michigan Road Library and Frankfort Library
- June 30, 1:00-3:00- Harry Potter Party
Look like a librarian!
Now you, too, can dress like a librarian! Local boutique, Moxie Mavens, collaborated with the library to create a Summer Reading t-shirt. The design is available in youth and adult sizes and portion of the sales goes back to the library! For more information or to order click here.
Sponsors & Partners
Summer Reading is made possible by our generous sponsors and partners, including:
- Clinton Central School Corporation
- Clinton Prairie School Corporation
- The Design-Hub
- Ellis Jewelers
- Esserman Tire
- Frankfort Community School
- Frankfort Nutrition and Wellness
- HalleluYah Way
- Heather’s Flowers
- Moxie Mavens
- NLB Sportswear
- Pepe’s Restaurant
- Probyte Computers
- Red Barn Theatre
- Rossville Community Schools
- Schulz Grocery Store
If you would like to promote literacy in our community by becoming a Summer Reading sponsor, please contact Rachel Milburn at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (765)654-8746 (ext. 1117).
To stay up-to-date on all things Summer Reading visit our webpage here, or follow us our social media on the following platforms:
Share this Post